5.03.2010

i {heart} work : simon corry


it seems that people are comforted by the thought of categorizing individuals into a particular... well... category and if they can't find a 'place' for this individual to fit into, they find themselves feeling very uncomfortable or even worse, will even go to the extent of outcasting the individual to find mental peace. being japanese, although born in america, i see this quite often in the japanese culture where if one is not part of the 'mass',  they are considered an 'ochikobore' (meaning: fall out = fall out of society) and this holds true in so many other parts within the culture: fashion, education, marriage, wealth, etc. the list goes on.

during my studies at design school, i used to think that in order to become a viable graphic designer in the industry, one would have to only know and do graphic design. nothing else. at one point, i felt that i needed to throw away my background in music in order to become a 'true' graphic designer. but somewhere during this 'graphic design purification' process, i realized that what is more important than tagging myself as a 'graphic designer' was to be truly happy in what you create. to some, it might be that they immerse themselves in graphic design and become an authority in the field, but for myself, i realized that i don't necessarily see myself as a graphic designer, but more as a creator. i love the idea of mixing ideas/mediums/techniques/disciplines to create a new perspective on a subject. creation cross pollination? not sure if that's even a term, but sometimes i feel like a mad scientist jumping from one discipline to the next trying to find a way of communicating what is in my brain and bringing it into the physical world.

simon corry reminds me of this type of thought process where one goes beyond their 'label' to explore different ways of communicating their interests + backgrounds. being a designer + illustrator, he is also a scientist and describes himself as:

"This is just me and the art of colouring in."

Simon is a designer and budding scientist, currently based in the UK. Simon's ability to combine the creative, with the technical has afforded him the opportunity to work with a diverse range of clients from the New York Times to the Royal Mail, and many more.

don't be fooled by his scientist background. nothing complicated + unexplainable to the un-trained mind/eye here. his work is thoughtful, thought-provoking and not to mention, fun to explore. go take a peek.

now i must go and do some more mixing of elements in my studio.

// simon corry

2 comments:

simoncorry said...

You really do seem to understand what I'm about.

Funnily enough my dissertation, for my BA (Hons.) was all about the 'blurry lines' between disciplines and how I, and others like me, battle to avoid being labeled as one thing or another.

If I ever see you in the real world I will buy you a coffee to say thanks. ^_^

x

satsuki shibuya said...

Thank you for your comment!

I am so glad to hear that the post presented you and your work in a way that you felt was in line with the way you approach your creativity.

Looking forward to seeing the many different sides of your work through the fusion of disciplines!

And yes! Coffee would be great!